Ioannis focuses on concession projects, project finance transactions, commercial arbitration and litigation, as well as contract negotiation. He regularly advises concessionaires and constructors on every aspect of concession and construction projects. Moreover, he advises Banks and corporations on financing transactions, particularly asset backed lending transactions, derivatives and repo agreements. Ioannis is the head of the Project Finance Department of our Firm.
Ioannis is ranked as a Leading Individual in the practice area of Projects and Privatisation in Greece and as a Next Generation Partner in the practice area of Dispute Resolution in Greece by The Legal 500.
University of Athens (LL.M. in Civil Law, 2006)
University of Athens, School of Law (LL.B., 2003)
English (Full proficiency)
German (Full Proficiency)
French (Full Proficiency)
Member of the Athens Bar Association. Qualified to appear before all Courts of all degrees, including the Supreme Courts.
• Advising the sponsor, Aktor Concessions S.A., on the concession of the exclusive right to own, use, administer, operate and exploit the Marina of Alimos for a 40-year period for a total consideration of EURO 57.5 million; • Advising GMR Group Limited with respect to the concession of the planned new international airport in Heraklion, Crete; • Advising Alpha Bank on the demerger by way of hive-down of its banking sector; • Advising Alpha Bank on matters of Greek Law on the successful issuance of a landmark Euro 500 million Tier 2 subordinated bond; • Advising the preferred bidder (Fraport-Copelouzos consortium) with respect to the tender process for the awarded concession of the management, operation and maintenance of 14 regional airports; • Advising Fraport and Copelouzos in relation to the sale and transfer of a 10% participation stake in the Fraport Greece entities by Slentel to Marguerite Fund; • Advising an international consortium in relation to the currently on-going privatization of Egnatia Odos Motorway (through the award of a relevant service concession agreement); • Advising Sponsors on Maliakos-Kleidi Project Finance; • Advising a major Greek Bank as hedging bank in the context of Mall development projects, energy projects and PPPs in Greece and abroad; • Advising and representing before arbitral tribunals and Greek Courts the Concessionaire of a Toll Road €1bn Concession (from the bidding stage until today);• Representing a French energy company in an ICC Arbitration against a major Greek company with respect to contract price escalation.
- Contributor of the analysis of articles 402-409 of the Greek Civil Code on earnest and penalty clause in the commentary of Professor Ioannis Karakostas, Civil Code, Law of Obligations, General Part, Athens 2006 (in Greek).
- Co-contributor of the chapter on Greek Port Regulations in the Greek Law Digest (2016).
- Co-contributor to the project of the World Bank “Enabling the Business of Agriculture 2017”.
- Co-contributor to the project of the World Bank “Procuring Infrastructure PPPs 2018”
- Co-contributor of the chapter on Restructuring & Insolvency: The position of Creditors in Greece in the Greek Law Digest (2019)
- Co-contributor to the project of the World Bank “Benchmarking Infrastructure 2020 in Greece”
- Co-contributor to the Chambers Global Practice Guide 2020, International Arbitration in Greece, Law and Practice
- Co-contributor to the Chambers Global Practice Guide 2020, International Arbitration in Greece, Trends and Developments
- Co-contributor to the Chambers Global Practice Guide 2020, Enforcement of Judgments in Greece