Alexandra Mikroulea-Of Counsel is heading the Competition Law practice of our Firm. Alexandra is Associate Professor of Commercial Law at the Law School of National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. She is a graduate of the Law School of the University of Athens and has a PhD from the Faculty of Law of the University of Munich (1991-1994). She has served as a Special Expert for the Hellenic Competition Commission (1997-2000) and subsequently as a Member thereof (2000-2003).
From 2007 to 2009, she represented the Hellenic Bank Association to the EPC Legal Support Group (European Payment Council), while she has also worked as a consultant of the HBA in domestic and international fora. Her academic experience also includes working as a Scientific Fellow at the Max Planck Institute, Munich, on Innovation and Competition (1992-1994, 1998-1999, 2000-2001, 2016-2017) and as a Visiting Scholar at UPenn (University of Pennsylvania Law School, Philadelphia, USA) in 2010, at the Faculty of Law of the University of Mainz, the Faculty of Law of the University of Munich (2010-2011), the UCL, London (2018) and NYU, New York (2018).
She has an extensive research activity, both in Greece as well as abroad, and has served as a member of law-making committees, in the fields of competition law, banking law, capital market law, trademark law and consumer protection law. Furthermore, Alexandra represented Greece as National Rapporteur in FIDE (Federation International de Droit Européen), on issues pertaining to competition and private enforcement (2010 and 2016), and consulted on a project for collective redress and competition law, led by the British Institute of International and Comparative Law (BIICL), on behalf of the EU (2017). Last but not least, she hasconducted training for judges in competition and banking law (Thessaloniki, Athens), has participated as organizer and speaker in numerous conferences and events and has published several articles and books in her area of practice.
University of Munich, Ludwig Maximilian University, Faculty of Law (PhD in European Competition Law). "Wettbewerbsbeschraekende Massnahmen der Mitgliedstaaten und EWG - Vertrag. Ihre Vereinbarkeit am Beispiel der Banken" - “State Measures that restrict competition in the banking sector, Doktorvater Prof. Dr. Dr. W.Fikentscher, 1994-1991).
University of Munich, Faculty of Law, LLM on the fundamental principles of civil and public laws, 1992.
University of Athens, School of Law (LL.B.,1991)
Member of the Athens Bar Association
Member of the ASCOLA – Academic Society for Competition Law
Member of numerous other Greek and foreign scientific associations
Recent work includes advice to:
- Eurobank on the sale of an 80% stake in its servicing subsidiary Eurobank Financial Planning Services S.A. to doValue S.p.A.,
- Skroutz S.A. in relation to the sale of 45% its shares to CVC Capital Partners,
- Adidas Hellas S.A. on the monitoring of its distribution – franchise network,
- Hellenic Post (ELTA) on antitrust investigation before EETT in relation to alleged abuse of its dominance,
- Assisting Hellenic Post (ELTA) in state aid issues,
- Assisting PPCR in joint venture cases and merger notifications to Competition Authorities,
- Assisting Fraport in competition law and state aid issues,
- Assisting banks in NPLs management and competition law.
- Scope of Managers' Duties and Liability during the financial crisis, Athens 2013 (in Greek)
- Civil Liability of Banks in payment transactions and funds transfers, Athens 2007 (in Greek)
- Utility Models. The right of minor inventions to protection (article 19 of Law 1733/1987) (in Greek) – Athens 1999 (in Greek).
- "Wettbewerbsbeschraekende Maßnahmen der Mitgliedstaaten und EWG-Vertrag. Ihre Vereinbarkeit am Beispiel der Banken", Nomos Universitaesschriften/Recht, nr. 184, 1995 (in German).
Contributions to collective works
- Agreements that restrict competition by object and effect, in Tzouganatos (eds.) Competition Law, 2020 (in Greek)
- Binding effect of NCA’s decisions in Tzouganatos (eds.), Competition Law, 2020.
- Transparency under EU Competition Law in Tountopoulos/Veil, Transparency in Stock Corporations in Europe, 2019, 251.
- Non-Performing Loans, Electronic Platforms and Competition Law, ASCOLA 2018
- Group of Companies, Binding instructions to a subsidiary, Liability issues, Financial Law Review 2017, p. 14 (in Greek).
- Prescription in Competition Law, in Papanikolaou (ed.), 2016
- Collective Redress and private enforcement, FIDE, Budapest 2016
- Non- Performing Loans and Banks, Competition issues and Capital Market Law issues, Commercial Law Review 2017, p. 214 (in Greek).
- Banking Law (Public and Private Banking Law), 2016 (in collaboration with Rokas/Gortsos/Livada), (in Greek)
- Collective Redress in European Competition Law, ZWER 2016, 388 (in English)
- Collective Redress and Private Enforcement in Competition Law, FIDE Congress in Budapest 2016, published in Conference proceedings (in English).
- “When the State harms Competition”, ZWeR2015, 265 (in English).
- Dominance and Monopolies in Greece, in Maurits Dolmans (ed.), The Dominance and Monopolies Review, 3nd edition, 2015, p. 174 (in English).
- Corporate Governance In Banking Sector after the CRD IV Directive, in Financial Law Review (XriDik) 2014, p.9 (in Greek).
- Agreements that restrict competition by object and effect, in Tzouganatos (eds.) Competition Law, 2013, p. 238 (in Greek).
- Binding effect of NCA’s Decisions in Tzouganatos (eds.) Competition Law, 2013, p.1032 (in Greek).
- Documentary Credit, Letter of Guarantee, Credit Transfer, Factoring, Leasing in "Banking Law", N. Rokas/Gortsos (eds.), 2012 (in Greek).
- Merger Remedies in the Hellenic Competition Committee's Practice, 21th Hellenic Conference of Greek Commercial Law Attorneys, (Thessaloniki, 2011), published in the Conference Proceedings 2012, p. 237 (in Greek)
- Competition Law and Financial Crisis, Mélanges Prof. N.Rokas, 2012, p. 519 (in Greek).
- The Judicial Application of Competition Law in Greece, FIDE XXIV 2010, published in Conference proceedings Vol. 2, p. 231 (in English).
- National Competition Authorities' Decisions and Civil courts, Private Enforcement, Studies in Memoriam of Prof. Kousoulis, 2011 (in Greek)
- Case Allocation in Antitrust and Collaboration between the National Competition Authorities and the European Commission, in Lianos/Kokoris, The reform of EC Competition Law, Kluwer 2010 (in English).
- Redeemable Shares, Analysis of Art. 17 of L. 2190/1920, in Perakis (ed.), L. 2190/1920, Athens 2010 (in Greek)
- Commitments and Competition Law, in Lianos/Kokkoris, 3rd International Conference of Competition, Athens , Athens 2009 (in Greek)
- Criminalization and Competition Law, in Business and Company Law Review, 2009, p. 529 (in Greek).
- Competition and Public Service in Greek Cabottage, in Antapassis/Athanassiou/Rosaeg, Competition and Regulation in Shipping and Shipping Related Industries, 2009 (in English).
- Concerted Practices in oligopolistic markets, in Business and CompanyLaw Review 2009, p. 471 (in Greek).
- The abuse of dominant position under article 2, Law 703/77, Private Law Chronicles VI/2006, p. 5 (in Greek).
- Verbandsklage auf Schadensersatz im griechischen Verbraucherschutzgesetz, Melanges Prof. Georgiadis 2005, (in German).
- "Independence of auditors in the business organization", 13th Hellenic Conference of Greek Commercial Law Attorneys, (Corfu, 7-9 November 2003), published in the Conference Proceedings, Athens 2004, p. 524 ff (in Greek).
- Ethics in the financial sector (in Greek), Studies in Memoriam of Prof. Michalis Minoudis, 2004, p. 433 ff (in Greek).
- B2B electronic markets and competition law (in Greek), Melanges Prof. Lambros Kotsiris, Thessaloniki 2004, p. 659 ff.(in Greek).
- Legal Issues in car insurance policies-Contract Termination, in Civil Liability and Car Accidents, Athens 2004, p. 197ff. (in Greek).
- Analysis of article 10, Law 2190/1920, in Perakis (ed.), Company Law, vol. 2Α, Athens 2003 (in Greek).
- Shipping Company and Board members, in Shipping Company, Contemporary Matters, Athens 2003, p. 89 ff. (in Greek)
- Codes of Ethics in the Insurance Sector, in Private Insurance Law Review 2003, p. 11 ff. (in Greek).
- Banks as Investment Firms (and the issue of margin account), 11th Hellenic Conference of Greek Commercial Law Attorneys on "Societe Anonyme and Investor Protection" Rhodes 2001, published in the Conference Proceedings, Athens 2002, p. 355 ff. (in Greek).
- Advertisement Law and Internet, Business and Company Law Review 2001, p.1091 ff. (in Greek).
- Analysis of Articles 74, 76 and 80 of the L. 2190/1920 (on public held corporations) participation in Ε. Peraris (ed.), The Law of Public –held Corporations, 8th vol. (in Greek).
- Competition Law and agreements on service providers/ access to telecom networks, Commercial Law Review 2001, issue 3, p. 436 ff. (in Greek).
- Biotechnology invention patents (in view of the new Directive on Biotechnology), Commercial Law Review 2000, issue 2, p. 245 ff. (in Greek).
- Competition law in Copyright collective management organizations, Commercial Law Review 1999, p. 452 ff. (in Greek).
- "Product Placement" as a form of fair or unfair advertisement, in Commercial Law Review 1998, p. 197 ff. (in Greek)
- Unfair Competition and contract violations, in Ν. Rokas (ed.), Unfair Competition, Athens 1996 (in Greek).
- "On going Concern Value", 10th Hellenic Conference of Greek Commercial Law Attorneys, Iraklion, Crete (November 2000), published in the Conference Proceedings, 2001, p. 525 (in Greek).
- Rejection of complaint, lack of community interest, obligation of motivation: How does that all fit together? Journal of Competition Law and Practice, 2011 (in English).
- One-Member Court of First Instance of Thessaloniki Nr. 8031/2005, Commercial Law Review 2005, p. 399 (Comment on Guarantee function of the trademark).
- Multi-Member Court of First Instance of Korinthos Nr. 80/2003, Business and Company Law Review 2003, p. 963 (Comment on mutual funds)
- Decision Nr. 1250/2001, Private Insurance Law Review (2003, p. 153 (Comment on insurance contract termination)
- Decision Nr. 1738/2001, Private Insurance Law Review 2003, p. 288 (insurer's non-liability in the event of contract cancellation)
- One-Member Court of First Instance of Athens 10216/2001, Commercial Law Review 2001, p. 164 (Comment on reverse confusion risk)
- Athens Court of Appeals Nr. 9428/1999, Business and Company Law Review 4/2000, p. 389ff. ( trademark and confusion)
- Decision Τ-198/1998, dated 16.12.1999, Micro leader Business, Business and Company Law Review 5/2000, p. 507ff. (abuse of dominance and software)
- Hellenic Competition Committee Nr. 111/ΙΙ/2000, Commercial Law Review 2000, p. 407ff. (consumer rights and competition law)
- One-Member Court of First Instance of Athens Nr. 3597/2000, Commercial Law Review 2000, p. 566ff. (unfair competition and unlawful removal of employees)
- HCC Nr. 36/ΙΙ/1999, Commercial Law Review 1999, p. 599 ff. (assessment of merger case)
- HCC Nr. 45/ΙΙ/1999, Commercial Law Review 1999, p. 607ff. (distortion of competition)
- One-Member Court of First Instance of Lamia Nr. 375/1999, Commercial Law Review 1999, p. 838ff. (unfair competition law and tort)
- HCC Nr. 53/1997, Commercial Law Review 1998, p. 181 (abuse of dominance)
- HCC Nr. 114/1998, Commercial Law Review 1998, p. 686 (joint venture and competition assessment)
- Multi-Member Court of First Instance of Thessaloniki Nr. 14944/1997, Commercial Law Review 1997, p. 821 ff. (abuse of dominance and market definition)
- Administrative Court of Appeals Nr. 459/1997, Commercial Law Review 1997, p. 596 ff. (binding effect of Court of Appeals annulment decision to HCC)