Evans focuses on energy law, international arbitrations, complicated litigations before the Greek courts, concessions and privatizations and contract negotiation and drafting (with focus on corporate, energy and construction). He is also very experienced in data protection issues, on which he regularly advises. He is heading the Energy Sector and the Data Privacy Departments and he is a core member of the Arbitration, Litigation and Mediation Department.
Evans is recognized by Chambers as having “extensive experience of traditional and renewable energy mandates, including advising investors on the acquisition of wind farms, and gas turbine developments” and being a “trustworthy, well-versed energy lawyer”. Moreover, Legal500 has ranked the Arbitration, Litigation and Mediation Department of our Firm as Tier 1, stating that it has “has an excellent reputation for major domestic and international disputes”, while it has ranked the Energy Sector Department favorably, mentioning the “strong track record” that it has in energy matters.
- Certified CEDR Mediator
- Cambridge University, LL.M. on Commercial Law and International Commercial Litigation.
- Athens University, LL.B.
- Athens University, B.Phil.
Legal 500 EMEA – Dispute Resolution (Greece), Recommended Lawyer, 2022
- Partner in Koutalidis Law Firm
- Head of the Energy Law and of the Data Privacy Departments
- Co-Head of the Investment in Greece Department
- Member of the Athens Bar Association. Qualified to appear before all Courts of all degrees, including the Supreme Courts.
Arbitration, Litigation and Mediation
- Representing a major company in connection with an international investigation as regards business practices (FCPA case).
- Representation of a contractor (concessionaire) in a technical dispute, before an international adjudication panel, regarding the construction specifications of one of the biggest tunnels in the area of the Balkans.
ICC Arbitration between a major construction company and an oil refinery with total claims exceeding €150m, acting as Greek counsel to the case, in tandem with international law firms.
- Litigation and concurrent ICC Arbitration between a Greek energy producer and a major equipment supplier, with a total value at stake over €70 million.
Defense of a motorway Concessionaire before the Greek courts, for claims exceeding €20m.
- Arbitration between a Concessionaire and the Greek State, on a dispute exceeding €45m.
- Technical arbitration between a Constructor and the Greek State, with a potential value exceeding €100m
- Legal advise Wren House Infrastructure LP, an affiliate of Kuwaiti state-owned wealth fund, Kuwait Investment Authority, in its recent 88m USD acquisition of equity stakes in Turkish EV charging station company, Zorlu Enerji and its Dutch subsidiary, ZES NV
- Legal advice to the Greek subsidiaries of the Chinese conglomerate China Three Gorges Corporation, with respect to their activities in Greece, including the operation of a number of large PV Parks.
- Legal advice to numerous RES developers, with a total expected portfolio in the range of 2 gigawatts.
Concessions & Privatizations
- Representation and legal advice to AEGEAN MOTORWAY S.A., a Motorway Concession Company which the Firm has advised for over 10 years (since 2005). The Concession Department, under the supervision of Gregory and Evans, has been on board since the tender process of the project and has since enjoyed a long-standing relationship with the client, having been through all the stages of the design, construction, financing, operation, maintenance and exploitation of a major Greek motorway, providing legal support on a day-to-day basis and representing the company in over 30 arbitration cases.
- Representation and legal advice to Hochtief PPP Solutions GmbH AG, one of the main shareholders of Olympia Odos S.A., another major Motorway Concession Company. The Department Heads, Gregory and Evans, oversee the legal team providing day-to-day advice and support on all sorts of corporate, commercial, employment, environmental and litigation issues.
- Legal support, representation and advice in the tender process for the award of Kastelli Airport.
- Co-author in articles regarding “Greece: International & Cross-Border Capabilities”, published in Chambers, 2021.
- Contribution in the book “The Private Capital Company”, written by the Prof. of Corporate Law, Ev. Perakis, and published in 2012.
- Contribution (as regards share capital reduction and as regards the nature of the share) in the collective work (led by Prof. Ev. Perakis and published in 2010) under the name “The Law of the Société Anonyme”.
- “Readjustment of obligations due to the financial crisis”, article in the Greek legal magazine named ‘Synigoros’, published in 2010.
- “Legal Due Diligence, Practice and Importance”, article in the Greek legal magazine named ‘Synigoros’, published in 2009.
- “The Mareva injunction from the viewpoint of private international law and its practical importance in international transactions”, joint presentation during the 17th Convention of Greek Commercialists, 2007.
Teaching regularly contract drafting to senior lawyers (NB education program).