Ioannis focuses on concession projects, project finance transactions, commercial arbitration and litigation, as well as contract negotiation. He regularly advises concessionaires and constructors on every aspect of concession and construction projects. Moreover, he advises banks and corporations on financing transactions, particularly asset backed lending transactions, derivatives and repo agreements. He is the Head of the Project Finance Department of our Firm and Co-Head of the Projects and Privatisation and Real Estate Departments of our Firm.
Ioannis is ranked as a Leading Individual in the practice area of Projects and Privatisation in Greece and as a Next Generation Partner in the practice area of Dispute Resolution in Greece by The Legal 500 EMEA 2020. Testimonials in The Legal 500 describe him as “very knowledgeable in the entire spectrum of Private Law, very methodical, tireless and an excellent negotiator.”
- University of Athens (LL.M. in Civil Law, 2006 summa cum laude)
- University of Athens, School of Law (LL.B., 2003 summa cum laude)
- Partner in Koutalidis Law Firm
- Head of the Project Finance Department
- Co-Head of the Projects and Privatisation Department and Co-Head of the Real Estate Department
- Member of the Athens Bar Association. Qualified to appear before all Courts of all degrees, including the Supreme Courts.
IFLR1000 - Project Development (Greece), Rising Star, 31st Edition
Legal 500 EMEA -
Projects and Privatisation (Greece),Leading Individual,2020
Legal 500 EMEA - Dispute Resolution (Greece), Next Generation Partner, 2020
Recent work includes
- Advising Alpha Bank on its Euro 500M Senior Preferred bond issuance which has a 6.5-year maturity and is callable in year 5.5 with a coupon of 2.5% and a yield of 2.625%. The bond is listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange – EuroMTF Market,
- Advising the sponsor, Aktor Concessions S.A., and the concessionaire on the concession of the exclusive right to own, use, administer, operate and exploit the Marina of Alimos for a 40-year period for a total consideration of EURO 57.5 million,
- Advising Piraeus Bank S.A., National Bank of Greece S.A., Alpha Bank S.A. and Eurobank S.A. on (i) an up to €665.6mio bond loan in connection with the 20-year extension of the Airport Development Agreement dated 31 July 1995, (ii) an up to €100mio bond loan, for the financing of capital expenditure projects (iii) an up to €140mio bond loan for the financing of working capital and operational needs,
- Advising GMR Group Limited with respect to the concession of the planned new international airport in Heraklion, Crete,
- Advising Alpha Bank on the demerger by way of hive-down of its banking sector,
- Advising Alpha Bank on matters of Greek Law on the successful issuance of a landmark Euro 500 million Tier 2 subordinated bond,
- Advising the preferred bidder (Fraport-Copelouzos consortium) with respect to the tender process for the awarded concession of the management, operation and maintenance of 14 regional airports,
- Advising Fraport and Copelouzos in relation to the sale and transfer of a 10% participation stake in the Fraport Greece entities by Slentel to Marguerite Fund,
- Advising an international consortium in relation to the tender for the privatization of Egnatia Odos Motorway,
- Advising Sponsors on Maliakos-Kleidi Project Finance,
- Advising a major Greek Bank as hedging bank in the context of Mall development projects, energy projects and PPPs in Greece and abroad,
- Advising and representing before arbitral tribunals and Greek Courts the Concessionaire of a Toll Road €1bn Concession (from the bidding stage until today),
- Representing a French energy company in an ICC Arbitration against a major Greek company with respect to contract price escalation.
- Contributor of the analysis of articles 402-409 of the Greek Civil Code on earnest and penalty clause in the commentary of Professor Ioannis Karakostas, Civil Code, Law of Obligations, General Part, Athens 2006 (in Greek).